Hello, everyone! How have you been?

It’s been a while since our last devlog, hasn’t it? Since then, the prototype of Monster Embassy has advanced in leaps and bounds and many new systems have been implemented, to the point that I can say the prototype is (probably?) two thirds done! All the basic stuff is there: menus, map movement, scene management, inventory, save system, etc. Now it’s time to implement and test the “fun” stuff: gameplay mechanics.

But first let’s have a look at all the news.


  • The custom keybindings system is completely finished! It lets you set keybindings for the keyboard and for joysticks, and the settings are saved to and loaded from the config file. This system hasn’t been tested in different operating systems and computers yet, though, and I’ve only tried it with two different joystick models, so it might need to be tweaked in the future. screenshot

  • I’ve added some cool scene transitions, thanks to a tutorial by Nicholas Hydock. Here you can see some of them in action: screenshot

  • I’ve created a simple log system that saves your game results to a text file every time that you finish a mission, no matter if you finish it successfully or not: time it took to finish, spells used, items found, food eaten, etc.

  • I’ve fully implemented a multi-save system that lets you keep up to 16 different save files. You can only save from the worldmap, not from an ongoing mission (which should be fine, because missions will never take longer than 15-20 minutes anyway, I don’t think. We’ll see). Savefiles can also be deleted from the game itself, and a confirmation window is displayed just to make sure that you really, really mean it. We wouldn’t want to make a nasty mistake. Also, the savefiles are encrypted, so they can’t be easily modified by the end-user and thus ruin the gameplay experience or whatever. screenshot

  • I added a cute rainbow-themed background that is displayed when the game loads, to replace the default Godot engine logo.


  • I’ve implemented the much awaited underwater system! Right now it’s functional but not very pretty. I’ll need to add a special animation for the player when underwater, so she appears to be actually swimming under the water, and perhaps an overlay layer with bubbles or something. The system works as follows: by using the right spell when swimming, the player can access an underwater map, which is a replica of the overwater one, but seen from bellow. The player can only return overwater by going to the areas marked in a darker color, which correspond to the water areas of the overworld. Easy, right? If I figure out level design, it might do for some cool puzzles and layered exploration :) screenshot

  • I’m currently working on more complex player actions and map effects, such as digging up items, creating and destroying fire, etc. This is still “very wip”, but the basic system (an overlay grid used to store these “effects”) is done. This part will perhaps be trickier than the others not for technical reasons, but because it remains to be seen if the systems I have in mind are fun in reality, or not. If they aren’t, well, I might need to redo certain things many times. Once this part of the prototype is finished, I’ll only need to polish it a little and I’ll be (FINALLY!) free to add graphics and content and create a short playable demo. Whew! screenshot

  • Not directly related to the game, but pretty important anyway: Monster Embassy now has its own Twitter account, @monsterembassy! I’ll still retweet everything from my personal account, @alforiumstudios, but this way I can keep all the ME-related stuff in the same place and provide a proper update log for the game. I’m planning on tweeting more often in the future, so stay tuned!

Fixed bugs

  • The indoor map system is not broken anymore. I don’t quite remember what was wrong, since I fixed it many days ago, but it was a very, very, very stupid mistake.
  • The stuck-in-the-intro-screen bug has been temporarily “circumvented” (aka commented out of existence) until it becomes necessary to actually fix it.
  • I’ve caused and fixed so many bugs I can’t even keep track of them.

Known bugs to fix

None that I know of? Sometimes I think there’s invisible random obstacles in the map, but I might have fixed that some days ago. Maybe.

What I want to do next

What I want to do next, as I’ve mentioned above, is implement the actual gameplay mechanics of the game: the main ways in which the player will interact with the map and make changes to it. You can already destroy and move obstacles, which are the most basic map mechanics of all, and the periferal systems (inventory, countdown timer, etc.) have been implemented. Now it’s time for more complex mechanics, and interactions between map objects, such as certain obstacles (trees, for example) being destroyed by the touch of fire, or self-multiplying fire. This will be difficult but so much fun! I’m looking forward to having a playable demo so people can test it.

This is a small detail, but I also need to add an option to access the language selection menu from the load game screen.

That’s all for today! Thank you for reading, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter. As always, you can also keep an eye on the game’s repo to get an idea of what I’m currently working on.

Best of luck,